Evostik League South Logo

The FA Trophy First Round Proper

Sunday 13th December 2015

The Launa Windows Stadium, Torquay

Match Report By Simon Newbury

Torquay United
Att 1130
Chesham United
Man Of The Match
Ashley Smith
Dan Lavercombe 21/1 Shane Gore Chesham’s remarkable run in FA competitions continued with this draw against National League team Torquay United. Although the home team had their moments, particularly in the second half, Chesham were good value for the draw and could even have pinched a win late on.

Ashley Smith and Toby Little returned to the starting line-up, replacing George Casey and Nick Beasant who were on the bench, while Kelvin Bossman returned after suspension in place of Sam Youngs. Early in the game Torquay player-manager Kevin Nicholson’s long throw was headed over the bar by Andre Wright, while Chesham came close when Ryan Blake seized on a loose ball on the edge of the home area and shot just wide of the near post. Torquay had already lost Courtney Richards to injury, and Chesham suffered a blow when George Fenton had to go off. For most of the first half the game was a stalemate, but on 34 minutes Daniel Butler’s effort produced a fine reaction save from Shane Gore. At the other end Toby Little fired across goal after a Dave Pearce free kick had been cleared, then in stoppage time Adam Martin’s shot from the edge of the area was turned round the post by home keeper Dan Lavercombe.

Early in the second half Aman Verma shot over from the edge of the area from Louis Briscoe’s pass, then Ben Gerring headed over from a Briscoe free kick. The home side only occasionally threatened the Chesham goal, but on 65 minutes sub Shepherd Murombedzi crossed to Kevin Nicholson who seemed sure to score but Ashley Smith got back to clear off the line. Smith then cleared off the line again when Gerring got his head to Daniel Butler’s corner. However Chesham rode out the storm and came back when Toby Little ran and shot and the ball was deflected past the far post. As the home side ran out of ideas Chesham could have stolen a win late on. After 77 minutes Ryan Blake broke down the right and fed Dave Pearce, who crossed low to Barry Hayles but his effort was blocked by a defender. In stoppage time Dave Pearce broke away down the left and crossed to Barry Hayles, Pearce took the return and shot but his effort was tipped over by Lavercombe.
Daniel Butler 3/2 Ashley Smith
Andre Wright 28/3 Toby Little
Louis Briscoe 7/4 George Fenton
Aman Verma 25/5 Curtis Ujah
Courtney Richards 16/6 Matt Taylor
Ben Gerring 22/7 Dave Pearce
Kevin Nicholson 24/8 Kelvin Bossman
Tyrone Marsh 10/9 Ryan Blake
Durrell Berry 29/10 Barry Hayles
Angus Macdonald 5/11 Adam Martin
Sean Finch 30/12 George Casey
Fabian Spiess 1/14 Callum Woodcock
Simon Heslop 26/15 Stephan Hamilton-Forbes
Shepherd Murombedzi 11/16 Nick Beasant
Alex Fisher 17 Sam Youngs
Used Substitutes
Heslop for Richards 11   Beasant for Fenton 17
Murombedzi for Briscoe 58   Youngs for Bossman 71
Finch for Wright 72   Casey for Little 83
Briscoe 28   Blake 25
Macdonald 38   Little 31
Wright 45+2   Taylor 87
Heslop 90