Evostik League South Logo

The Evostick League Southern Premier Division

Saturday 19th December 2015

The Meadow, Chesham

Match Report By Simon Newbury

Photos By Trevor Hyde

Chesham United
Att 303
Stratford Town
Man Of The Match
Dave Pearce
Shane Gore 1 Andy Kemp Chesham played their first home league match in 53 days and won in the league for the first time since then. This was a case of relief at getting back to winning ways and moving some distance away from the drop zone. Chesham wrapped up the game with two first-half goals and could have been out of sight in the second half, before Stratford launched a late comeback to no avail.

Bruce Wilson returned to the starting line-up after missing the last three matches with an injury sustained at Bradford, replacing Matt Taylor who was on the bench. Stratford, whose players had to make their own way to the ground after their team coach failed to arrive, had the best moment of an uneventful first quarter, when Dior Angus attempted a curling shot which was just wide. However on 21 minutes the ball bounced around in the Stratford area and Marcel Simpson handled in attempting to clear. The referee awarded the penalty which Dave Pearce slammed home to give Chesham the lead. Three minutes later Stratford had their one moment of danger in the half, when Shane Gore pushed away a low cross and Liam Francis seemed sure to score but Adam Martin just got to the loose ball first. On 36 minutes Stratford’s defence failed to clear Adam Martin’s cross and Dave Pearce made it 2-0 with a left-footed drive into the far corner of the net. Three minutes later Pearce could have completed his hat-trick when sent clear but visiting keeper Andy Kemp rushed from his goal to save. In the last minute of the half Ryan Blake got his head to a Sam Youngs cross but the ball stuck in the mud in the goalmouth and Kemp was able to drop on it.

Early in the second half Shane Gore parried a fierce angled drive by Kieren Westwood, but otherwise Chesham were in control of the game. On 63 minutes the ball was cleared to Adam Martin on the edge of the area, and his powerful shot was just going wide but was glanced by Barry Hayles onto the bar and over. Two minutes later Curtis Ujah got his head to a Dave Pearce corner but the ball was headed off the line. Ten minutes from time Kelvin Bossman, who had just come on as a substitute, pulled the ball back from the by-line on the right and set up Ryan Blake who controlled and shot over from close range with only Kemp to beat. Stratford brought on veteran Tyrone Fagan who was in the clear but denied by a fine saving tackle by Curtis Ujah. Chesham had more chances, Ryan Blake firing across goal from wide on the right, then Blake found space on the left but shot into the side-netting. Late in the game Chesham reverted to three central defenders, bringing on George Casey and switching Ashley Smith to the centre of defence as Stratford pushed Liam Francis up front, and took advantage of the extra space on the break. Two minutes from time Ryan Blake broke clear on the right and set up Kelvin Bossman who side-footed past Kemp but just wide of the post. In the last minute of normal time Aaron Moses-Garvey tapped in from close range but was flagged offside, then in stoppage time Simeon Tulloch’s low drive beat Shane Gore but came back off the post, but it was all too little too late as Chesham held on.
Ashley Smith 2 Gary Moran
Toby Little 3 Kieren Westwood
Nick Beasant 4 Jack Roberts
Curtis Ujah 5 Liam Francis
Adam Martin 6 Marcel Simpson
Dave Pearce 7 Simeon Tulloch
Sam Youngs 8 Michael McGrath
Ryan Blake 9 Dior Angus
Barry Hayles 10 Aaron Moses-Garvey
Bruce Wilson 11 Jamie Sheldon
Matt Taylor 12 Edwin Ahenkorah
Kelvin Bossman 14 Emmit Delfouneso
Stephan Hamilton-Forbes 15 Alex Price
George Casey 16 Tyrone Fagan
- 17 Aaron Stringfellow
Used Substitutes
Taylor for Wilson 70   Ahenkorah for Roberts 63
Bossman for Hayles 78   Price for Angus 75
Casey for Youngs 85   Fagan for McGrath 75
Pearce 23 Pen, 36    
    McGrath 35