Evostik League South Logo

The Evostick League Red Insure Cup 1st Round

Tuesday 13th October 2015

Holloways Park, Beaconsfield

Match Report By Simon Newbury

Slough Town
Att 113
Chesham United
Man Of The Match
Matt Taylor
Mark Scott 1 George Legg Chesham made a tame exit from the Red Insure Cup at the first time of asking. This competition may be the lowest of the club’s priorities this season, but the only pluses from the game were that a few of the club’s squad players were able to get some game time while others were rested.

Laurie Stewart returned in the centre of defence after missing three matches, alongside George Fenton as Nick Beasant and Curtis Ujah were rested. Sam Youngs returned after missing four games because of work commitments and Kelvin Bossman started after being cup-tied on Saturday. Kelvin’s brother Allen made his debut as a second-half substitute after signing for the club at the weekend. In the second minute of the game Slough’s Justin Clayton escaped with a yellow card after bringing down Kelvin Bossman 25 yards out, and Bossman took the free kick which flew wide of the near post. At the other end Adam Martin’s left-wing cross was headed wide by Charlie Strutton, but the game was the sort of low-key affair typical of this competition. After 24 minutes Sean Fraser crossed from the right-hand touchline and the unmarked Scott Harris headed in to give Slough the lead. Towards the end of the half chances began to come at both ends, Adam Martin getting on the end of a Sean Fraser cross but side-footing the ball straight at George Legg, while at the other end Dave Pearce cut in from the left but shot straight at Mark Scott in the home goal. On 39 minutes Chesham failed to deal with a bouncing ball on the edge of their area, and Gurkan Gokmen lifted the ball over the advancing George Legg and headed into the empty net to double the lead. Late in the half Kelvin Bossman’s cross came to Dave Pearce who shot high and wide, then Brad Wadkins won the ball and centred towards Kelvin Bossman but Dan Hicks just got to the ball first.

For most of the second half Slough looked content to sit on their lead, while Chesham never threatened to get back in the game. Early on Slough’s Gurkan Gokmen sliced a shot wide of the near post, and Charlie Strutton broke away down the home left and shot powerfully but straight at George Legg. Ten minutes from time Slough scored a third after Ryan Hope’s shot was blocked but the ball came to Charlie Strutton who fired into the net from twelve yards. Chesham briefly threatened a consolation when Kelvin Bossman’s effort was blocked by Fraser and Toby Little’s long-range effort was parried by Scott, but the game ended with Slough looking to add to their tally. George Legg made good saves to deny Lewis Putman and Paul Stonehouse, while Gurkan Gokmen and Charlie Strutton both missed when well placed.  
Sean Fraser 2 Ashley Smith
Paul Stonehouse 3 Toby Little
Justin Clayton 4 Laurie Stewart
Dan Hicks 5 George Fenton
Ryan Hope 6 Matt Taylor
Adam Martin 7 Dave Pearce
Declan Benjamin 8 Sam Youngs
Scott Harris 9 Kelvin Bossman
 Charlie Strutton 10 Brad Wadkins
Gurkan Gokmen 11 Bruce Wilson
Wes Harrison 12 George Casey
Adrian Sear 14 Stephan Hamilton-Forbes
Lewis Putman 15 Ryan Blake
Charlie Mpi 16 Allen Bossman
- 17 Nick Beasant
Used Substitutes
Putman for Harris 79   Blake for Wadkins 65
    A Bossman for Youngs 65
Harris 24    
Gokmen 39    
Strutton 80    
Clayton 2