Evostik League South Logo

The Evostick League Southern Premier Division

Monday 31st August 2015

The Meadow, Chesham

Match Report By Simon Newbury

Photos By Trevor Hyde

Chesham United
Att 439
Slough Town
Man Of The Match
Brad Wadkins
George Legg 1 Mark Scott Once again Chesham finished up with only a draw from a game they could and should have won. After playing some fine football in the first half without scoring, the second half was more mundane but Chesham still looked to have done enough before conceding a late equaliser.

Chesham’s starting line-up was unchanged from Saturday’s draw at Stratford. Chesham made the stronger start, Sam Youngs crossing from the right to Matt Taylor whose flick was saved by keeper Mark Scott, then Youngs shot and Scott allowed the ball to hit his body and run to safety. Chesham had a scare when Ed Smith broke clear and drew George Legg, but his shot hit the keeper and looped high and wide for a corner. Chesham still created the better chances, Sam Youngs forcing Scott to dive to his right to hold a 30-yard free kick, then Ryan Blake and Sam Youngs combined to set up Dave Pearce who blazed over from the edge of the area. On the half-hour George Legg came out of his area to clear, but the ball hit Charlie Mpi and the rebound went behind for a goal kick. However the half ended with Chesham again on top, Ryan Blake setting up Sam Youngs on the left for a drive which flew past Scott but just past the far post. Blake then cut in from the left and attempted to catch out Scott with a shot to the near post but the keeper was equal to it, then five minutes from half-time Blake shot for the far top corner but Scott again excelled to tip the ball over.

Early in the second half Slough came close when Warren Harris crossed after a corner was cleared but Billy Jeffreys’ header was cleared by Laurie Stewart. Harris then shot across goal after George Legg rushed to clear the ball from the advancing Charlie Mpi. Chesham had not hit the same form as in the first half but took the lead just after the hour mark. A Matt Taylor throw was helped on by Brad Wadkins, and Dave Pearce worked the ball onto his left foot to fire past Scott. Still Chesham looked the more likely to score, Scott rushing to save at the feet of Brad Wadkins, then Sam Youngs had one shot deflected behind and another smartly saved by Scott. Slough began to exert some pressure, and after 77 minutes Charlie Mpi laid the ball off to Warren Harris whose angled drive hit Legg and flew into the side netting at the near post. However Chesham looked on course to keep their first clean sheet of the season, but six minutes from time sub Callum Webb crossed from the visitors’ left and Charlie Mpi found the top corner of the net with a near-post header. In stoppage time Scott rushed from his goal to clear from the onrushing Brad Wadkins, the two collided and both needed treatment, Scott eventually being carried off on a stretcher and replaced by sub keeper Luke Williams for the last few seconds of the game.  
Ashley Smith 2 Sean Fraser
Toby Little 3 Ryan Parsons
Laurie Stewart 4 Guy Hollis
Nick Beasant 5 Billy Jeffreys
Matt Taylor 6 Adrian Sear
Dave Pearce 7 Jamie McClurg
Sam Youngs 8 Adam Martin
Ryan Blake 9 Charlie Mpi
Brad Wadkins 10 Ed Smith
Bruce Wilson 11 Warren Harris
Curtis Ujah 12 Callum Webb
Tommy Fletcher 14 Nathan Webb
Tashan Dwyer 15 Gurkan Gokmen
Stephan Hamilton-Forbes 16 Ben Edwards
Ash Fongho 17 Luke Williams
Used Substitutes
Dwyer for Blake 80   C Webb for Smith 31
    Gokmen for Harris 78
    Williams for Scott 90+6
Pearce 62   Mpi 84
Wadkins 90+3   Fraser 86