Evostik League South Logo

The Evostick League Southern Premier Division

Saturday 26th December 2015

Holloways Park, Beaconsfield

Match Report By Simon Newbury

Photos By Trevor Hyde

Slough Town
Att 438
Chesham United
Man Of The Match
Curtis Ujah
Mark Scott 1 Shane Gore Chesham got their league season back on track with a second consecutive win and second consecutive clean sheet. This was a dour affair which threatened to boil over in the second half, but Chesham played the better football on the day although the home team nearly scored a spectacular equaliser late on.

Chesham made only one change to the eleven that would have played against Cambridge City in midweek, George Casey coming in at right back in place of Ashley Smith who was unwell. With George Fenton still out Joe Gater, signed on a month’s loan from Barnet, made his debut as a second-half substitute. The game started slowly although Slough had the first moment of note after five minutes, when Dan Hicks got on the end of a Lewis Putman corner but the ball was cleared and a free kick given to Chesham. After 14 minutes Chesham produced their first good move, when Dave Pearce set up Matt Taylor for a shot that flew across the home goal. Chesham were looking the more dangerous of the two teams, but only occasionally threatened. However on the half-hour mark Ryan Blake found Matt Taylor, whose square pass found Barry Hayles but his effort was blocked. Four minutes later a corner was cleared as far as Matt Taylor whose effort was beaten away by home keeper Mark Scott. The resulting corner was taken by Dave Pearce and headed out, but Pearce crossed back in and Ryan Blake headed into the net from ten yards to end his goal drought after the winner at Bristol Rovers. Chesham continued to push forward and a good move saw Blake head over from George Casey’s cross. Slough had barely had an attack, but in the last minute of the half Ryan Case shot powerfully but over the bar after a free kick had been headed out by Curtis Ujah.

Early in the second half Ryan Blake set up Dave Pearce who controlled and shot just over, then Toby Little broke down the left and curled a right-foot shot over the keeper but also just over the bar. Just after the hour mark the mood of the afternoon was soured when Ryan Case escaped with a yellow card after catching Adam Martin with his studs in a late challenge. Shortly afterwards Barry Hayles had his back to goal when he was brought down by Guy Hollis, possibly just inside the area but the referee gave a free kick right on the edge. Adam Martin, who had been given a hard time against his former club, was eventually forced to go off after taking a blow to the forehead close to the one suffered at Torquay. With Nick Beasant already off injured Chesham were up against it late on, home sub George Hallahan shooting just wide after the ball dropped to him in the area. Five minutes from time Hallahan broke forward and unleashed a drive that beat Shane Gore but smashed against the near post and rebounded across goal. That was the home team’s last chance until deep into stoppage time, when goalkeeper Scott’s long free kick into the area was headed goalwards by Dan Hicks but Shane Gore tipped over. In the eighth minute of stoppage time Chesham broke away and Barry Hayles set up Ryan Blake, who drew the keeper and squared to Hayles who looked sure to score but the ball came back off the post.
Ryan Case 2 George Casey
Nathan Fox 3 Toby Little
Guy Hollis 4 Nick Beasant
Dan Hicks 5 Curtis Ujah
Nathan Webb 6 Adam Martin
Lewis Putman 7 Dave Pearce
James Jepson 8 Matt Taylor
Charlie Mpi 9 Ryan Blake
Scott Harris 10 Barry Hayles
Sean Fraser 11 Bruce Wilson
Justin Clayton 12 Kelvin Bossman
Jai Dhillion 14 Sam Youngs
Gurkan Gokmen 15 Stephan Hamilton-Forbes
George Hallahan 16 Joe Gater
- 17 Jamie Eames
Used Substitutes
Hallahan for Harris 57   Gater for Beasant 74
Gokmen for Case 67   Hamilton-Forbes for Martin 79
Clayton for Fraser 90+6   Youngs for Pearce 81
    Blake 34
Case 63   Beasant 64
Jepson 77   Taylor 87
Webb 90+1   Blake 90+1