Evostik League South Logo

The Evostick League Southern Premier Division

Saturday 2nd April 2016

Tatnam Ground, Poole

Match Report By Simon Newbury

Poole Town
Att 458
Chesham United
Man Of The Match
Ashley Smith
Nick Hutchings 1 Shane Gore Chesham’s eight-game unbeaten run came to an abrupt end at league leaders Poole. After conceding an early goal to a header from a corner, Chesham managed to concede an almost identical goal midway through the half and that was the game effectively over.

There was only one change to the side with Bruce Wilson returning from a week away to replace the injured Adam Martin. The first major incident of the afternoon saw the home side take the lead in the sixth minute, when Marvin Brooks rose unmarked to head in Steve Devlin’s right-wing corner. Shortly afterwards Luke Burbidge should have been shown a yellow card for diving after attempting to go round Shane Gore only to fall over when there was no contact. Midway through the half Dave Pearce found some space on the left and shot wide of the near post, but the game was effectively decided a few minutes later. Again Devlin took a right-wing corner and Brooks stole in at the near post to head in. Home keeper Nick Hutchings then saved after Bruce Wilson just failed to get a touch on Barry Hayles’ cross, Dave Pearce had a shot that hit a defender and bounced away for a corner, and that was the sum total of the first-half action.

Early in the second half Dave Pearce crossed low from the left towards Ryan Blake at the near post, but Hutchings blocked and held on to the loose ball. On 52 minutes Poole scored another set-piece goal, when Devlin’s long free kick from inside the centre circle was headed across goal by Brooks, and Luke Roberts touched the ball past Shane Gore at the near post. Midway through the half Roberts’ angled drive from wide on the right was tipped over by Shane Gore. Fifteen minutes from time a left-wing move by Chesham ended with a cross that was cleared as far as Bruce Wilson, who shot from the edge of the area but Hutchings saved comfortably. The last action of the afternoon came from another corner, taken by Tony Lee and headed on by Jamie Granger but Ashley Smith cleared off the line.
Lewis Tallack 2 Ashley Smith
Will Spetch 3 Toby Little
Michael Walker 4 Nick Beasant
Jamie Whisken 5 Curtis Ujah
Carl Pettefer 6 Stephan Hamilton-Forbes
Luke Burbidge  7 Dave Pearce
Steve Devlin 8 Sam Youngs
Luke Roberts 9 Ryan Blake
Marvin Brooks 10 Barry Hayles
Abdulai Baggie 11 Bruce Wilson
Ashan Holgate 12 Kelvin Bossman
Tom Rees 13/17 Matt Taylor
Jamie Gleeson 14 Ben Ford
Jamie Granger 15 George Fenton
Tony Lee 16 Joe Gater
Used Substitutes
Lee for Burbidge 56   Taylor for Hamilton-Forbes 58
Gleeson for Baggie 68   Bossman for Youngs 68
Granger for Devlin 73   Ford for Wilson 87
Brooks 6, 25    
Roberts 52    
    Beasant 44