Evostik League South Logo

The Evostick League Southern Premier Division

Saturday 15th August 2015

The Meadow, Chesham

Match Report By Simon Newbury

Photos By Trevor Hyde

Chesham United
Att 242
Paulton Rovers
Man Of The Match
Sam Youngs
George Legg 1 Ben John Chesham came back from a goal down to record their first league win of the season. After a bright start Chesham struggled and went a goal down shortly before half-time, but two goals shortly after the restart clinched the win.

Curtis Ujah and Toby Little were kept out of the team by the injuries sustained in the midweek draw with Hitchin, while Brad Wadkins was away, so Tommy Fletcher came in at right back with Ashley Smith switching to the left, Nick Beasant started in the centre of defence and Barry Hayles in attack. Chesham started brightly and in the fifth minute Barry Hayles found space and set up Dave Pearce, who cut inside and fired in a shot that visiting keeper Ben John dived to tip away. At the other end Tom Knighton shot powerfully but well wide, but Chesham came back with Ashley Smith crossing to Barry Hayles whose near-post header was turned behind by John. Paulton’s physical approach led to Jordan Walker and Scott Brice being booked as the game became scrappy. After 35 minutes Sam Youngs played in Matt Taylor on the right but John came out to block on the edge of the area. Three minutes later Aaron Brown crossed into the Chesham area, the ball looped up off the head of Laurie Stewart and George Legg was forced to tip over. As half-time approached Mitchell Page fell easily on the edge of the area when challenged by Laurie Stewart, and the referee gave a free kick which Aaron Brown lifted into the top corner of the net to give the visitors the lead.

Chesham went on the attack in the opening seconds of the second half, Barry Hayles chesting the ball down for Sam Youngs to shoot just wide. In the 56th minute Youngs equalised for Chesham with a rising drive into the roof of the net from just outside the area, and three minutes later Barry Hayles crossed from the by-line on the right for Dave Pearce to head in at the far post. Paulton had been content to sit on their lead but were forced to come out, and George Legg saved at the feet of Mitchell Page. At the other end Ryan Blake intercepted a headed back-pass from Sam Teale but keeper Ben John was eventually able to drop on the ball after a scramble in the area. Legg held a shot from Aaron Brown and pushed away a free kick from Ben Barnett, but the later stages saw Chesham come closer to adding to their lead. After Ryan Blake had a shot pushed away the ball came to Matt Taylor on the edge of the area but his shot was cleared off the line by Shayne Anson. Barry Hayles then had a shot on the turn pushed away by John and Nick Beasant headed wide from the resulting corner. In the last minute of normal time sub Tashan Dwyer broke away on the left and crossed just ahead of the incoming Dave Pearce.
Ashley Smith 2 Alex Grimshaw
Tommy Fletcher 3 Sam Teale
Laurie Stewart 4 Shayne Anson
Nick Beasant 5 Scott Brice
Matt Taylor 6 Jordan Walker
Dave Pearce 7 Aaron Brown
Sam Youngs 8 Darren Mullings
Ryan Blake 9 Tom Knighton
Barry Hayles 10 Mitchell Page
Bruce Wilson 11 Cameron Brown
Ash Fongho 12 Toby Osman
Stephan Hamilton-Forbes 14 David O'Hare
Tashan Dwyer 15 Craig Allen
George Fenton 16 Ben Barnett 
Shane Gore 13/17 James Byrne
Used Substitutes
Fenton for Fletcher 78   Osman for Walker 64
Hamilton-Forbes for Youngs 81   Barnett for C Brown 64
Dwyer for Blake 89   O'Hare for Grimshaw 88
Youngs 56   A Brown 41
Pearce 59    
Wilson 34   Walker 10
Hayles 69   Brice 25
Smith 90+4   Osman 69