Evostik League South Logo

The Emirates FA Cup Second Round Qualifying

Saturday 26th September 2015

Athletic Field, Paulton

Match Report By Simon Newbury

Paulton Rovers
Att 123
Chesham United
Man Of The Match
Bruce Wilson
Ben John 1 George Legg Chesham made the third qualifying round of the FA Cup for the first time since 2009 with a comfortable victory over Paulton. After a quiet first half Chesham took control of the game after the hour mark, and after taking the lead the result was rarely in doubt.

After the midweek draw against Hungerford there were four changes to the team. Ashley Smith returned after injury in place of Tommy Fletcher, Nick Beasant came in for Curtis Ujah who was only fit enough for a place on the bench, Ben Ford made his first start at left-back and Dave Pearce returned to the side, Ash Fongho and Immanuelson Duku making way. Paulton were hit by an early injury to Dominic Thomas, who went down in only the second minute following an innocuous challenge and was eventually carried off with a knee injury. In spite of this the home team nearly took the lead in the tenth minute, but George Legg produced a fine save to turn Josh Morgan-Williams’ shot round the post. The rest of the first half was largely uneventful, although Chesham had better of the few moments of goalmouth action. After a corner was taken short by Dave Pearce, Bruce Wilson’s shot took a slight deflection but not enough to deceive home keeper Ben John. Matt Taylor then crossed from the right to Toby Little who glanced a header wide, then eight minutes from half-time Bruce Wilson’s shot came through to Sam Youngs who turned and hooked the ball over the bar.

Early in the second half Paulton had their best spell of the game, and in the fifth minute after the restart Josh Morgan-Williams’ shot was blocked and Cameron Brown’s effort from the loose ball parried by George Legg. However Chesham then began to stretch the home defence, and Matt Taylor had a shot parried by keeper Ben John. Taylor then stole in at the near post to meet Bruce Wilson’s cross but his header hit a defender and went out for a corner. In the 65th minute Dave Pearce broke down the right and found Ryan Blake, who held off a challenge and shot across John and into the net off the far post to give Chesham the lead. The only controversial moment in the game came almost straight from the kick-off, when Sam Youngs appeared to be elbowed in the face by Aaron Brown after the ball had gone, but the referee checked with both linesmen and none of the three officials saw the incident. By now Chesham had free rein to attack down the home team’s left flank, and in the 73rd minute Ryan Blake stole in at the near post to convert Dave Pearce’s low cross for Chesham’s second. Four minutes later Toby Little broke clear and shot across the face of the home goal from the edge of the area. Paulton’s last chance to get back in the game came when Cameron Brown’s cross found the head of Jordan Walker, but George Legg reacted sharply to parry and Kyle Tooze headed the loose ball over the bar. After that Chesham saw out the game in some comfort, and nearly added a third when Dave Pearce cut in from the right and shot past the far post from the edge of the area.
Jordan Walker 2 Ashley Smith
Alex Grimshaw 3 Toby Little
Shayne Anson 4 Laurie Stewart
Craig Allan 5 Nick Beasant
Aaron Brown 6 Matt Taylor
Dominic Thomas 7 Dave Pearce
Josh Morgan-Williams 8 Sam Youngs
Ben Barnent 9 Ryan Blake
Jordan Ricketts 10 Ben Ford
David O'Hare 11 Bruce Wilson
Josh Ford 12 Tommy Fletcher
- 13 Shane Gore
Kyle Tooze 14 Curtis Ujah
Cameron Brown 15 Ash Fongho
Nathan Rudge 16 Stephan Hamilton-Forbes
Richard Fey 17 Tashan Dwyer
- 18 Callum Woodcock
Used Substitutes
Ford for Thomas 7   Fongho for Smith 78
C Brown for Barnent 40   Hamilton-Forbes for Little 86
Tooze for O'Hare 74    
    Blake 65, 73