Evostik League South Logo

The Emirates FA Cup Third Round Qualifying

Saturday 10th October 2015

The Meadow, Chesham

Match Report By Simon Newbury

Chesham United
Att 390
North Leigh
Man Of The Match
Dave Pearce
George Legg 1 James Foster Two late goals saw Chesham eventually progress to the Fourth Qualifying Round of the FA Cup for the first time since 2000. North Leigh were top of the South and West Division of the Southern League and gave as good as they got for most of the afternoon, but were clearly hanging on for a replay when they conceded an unnecessary penalty eight minutes from time.

Chesham made two changes to the starting line-up, Ashley Smith returning at right back with George Casey pushed forward into midfield and Brad Wadkins up front in place of Kelvin Bossman who was ineligible. The other change saw Curtis Ujah return to the centre of defence in place of George Fenton. The visitors looked well-organised but carried little threat up front, and Chesham had the better chances of a tight first half. On 16 minutes a Toby Little free kick into the opposition area was headed back across goal by Nick Beasant but Brad Wadkins’ shot was blocked. Wadkins headed just over from a long cross by Ashley Smith, then Wadkins headed a right-wing cross back across goal and Stuart Hole nearly headed into his own net but the ball just went past the post. In the last minute of the half a shot from Dave Pearce took a deflection and went just wide.

Chesham had the better of the early stages of the second half, but on 55 minutes the defence hesitated over a long ball down the middle and Aaron Woodley stole in to lob over George Legg but just over the bar. On the hour mark Toby Little’s cross found George Casey whose shot was blocked and Ryan Blake’s follow-up effort was deflected just wide. Four minutes later Woodley chased a ball that seemed to be going out only to fall under George Legg’s challenge, but the referee gave a goal kick after seemingly pointing to the penalty spot. The visitors then had their best spell of the game but failed to create an opening. As the game went into the last quarter Chesham were becoming frustrated at their inability to break through and at the visitors’ time-wasting, but after 82 minutes Ryan Blake had his ankle clipped for a clear foul that was just inside the box. Dave Pearce put away the penalty leaving North Leigh to come out of their shell, and three minutes later Ryan Blake won the ball on the right and set up Dave Pearce who dummied the keeper before smashing home the decisive second goal.
Ashley Smith 2 Sam Elkins
Toby Little 3 Michael Hopkins
Nick Beasant 4 Wayne Turk
Curtis Ujah 5 Lewis White
Matt Taylor 6 Stuart Hole
Dave Pearce 7 Aaron Woodley
George Casey 8 Elliot Osborne-Ricketts
Ryan Blake 9 Jamie Cook
Brad Wadkins 10 Callum McNish
Bruce Wilson 11 Morgan Williams
Stephan Hamilton-Forbes 12 Jon Else
Tom Gowans 13 -
Tommy Fletcher 14 Zak Westlake
Ash Fongho 15 Joseph Fullerton
George Fenton 16 -
Callum Woodcock 17 -
Alfie Osborne 18 -
Used Substitutes
Hamilton-Forbes for Smith 76   Else for Cook 14
Fenton for Casey 88   Fullerton for Woodley 86
Woodcock for Blake 90+1    
Pearce Pen 83, 86    
Little 35   Turk 64
Casey 71