Evostik League South Logo

Berks & Bucks Senior Cup Semi Final

Wednesday 13th January 2016

The Meadow, Chesham

Match Report By Simon Newbury

Chesham United
MK Dons
Man Of The Match
Dave Pearce
Shane Gore 1/29 Charlie Burns Chesham came back from a disastrous start to clinch a place in the final of the Berks & Bucks Senior Cup. This was a remarkable game, full of twists and turns and a dramatic conclusion.

Chesham rested Nick Beasant, Barry Hayles, Sam Youngs and Bruce Wilson, who were replaced by Ashley Smith, Stephan Hamilton-Forbes, Kelvin Bossman and George Fenton, who played 65 minutes after exactly a month out with injury. MK Dons fielded nine full-time professionals including former England defender Matthew Upson. The visitors took the lead in the third minute in peculiar circumstances, when Kabongo Tshimanga crossed low from the by-line on the right and the ball went through a crowd of players at the near post and bobbled slowly into the net, the final touch apparently coming from Joe Gater. Chesham attempted to come back with Dave Pearce finding Kelvin Bossman who shot just wide of the near post. However on eleven minutes Tom Hitchcock worked himself a shooting chance on the edge of the area and shot past Shane Gore to make it 2-0. This was looking like a stroll for the visitors but two goals in two minutes turned the game on its head. Firstly Matt Taylor broke into the visitors’ penalty area and was brought down, Dave Pearce converting the penalty. In the next minute Upson lobbed a pass back to keeper Charlie Burns, who attempted to head clear but only succeeded in giving Ryan Blake the chance to head into the unguarded net. The game was now more even, and Matthew Upson deflected Ryan Blake’s cross and the ball could have gone anywhere but Burns was able to save. Shane Gore made a good save from Kabongo Tshimanga, then at the other end Dave Pearce got to the by-line on the left and crossed to Curtis Ujah whose header came back off the bar. However on 38 minutes Giorgio Rasulo’s diagonal ball into the area was turned in by Hitchcock to restore the visitors’ lead. Five minutes later a shot from Daniel Powell beat Shane Gore, but hit the far post and bounced across goal.

In the opening minute of the second half Ryan Blake’s low cross found Kelvin Bossman at the near post but Burns spread himself to save, then at the other end Daniel Powell had a shot deflected wide. Chesham were making little headway and the visitors occasionally looked dangerous, and midway through the half Tom Hitchcock had a shot deflected wide. Ryan Blake headed just over from a Sam Youngs cross, but the visitors could have sealed the game five minutes later. Daniel Powell was through and Shane Gore raced from his goal to save, but the loose ball came to Hitchcock who lobbed over the bar with the goal at his mercy. Chesham put on some late pressure, and from one corner Toby Little’s shot was going wide but Joe Gater attempted to flick it goalwards but was just off target. However in the next minute Stephan Hamilton-Forbes set up Ryan Blake who shot across the keeper and into the net at the far post to make it 3-3.

Chesham brought on Barry Hayles for extra time, and on 95 minutes Hayles escaped his marker to meet Dave Pearce’s corner but headed wide. As half-time in extra time approached Kelvin Bossman raced onto Dave Pearce’s pass and shot across the keeper to give Chesham the lead for the first time. In the final 15 minutes Shane Gore had to push away a shot from Daniel Powell, then produced a fine flying save when Powell had a free header from Adam Hunt’s cross. However MK Dons eventually broke through again when Andrew Osei-Bonsu lifted a shot into the roof of the net from twelve yards five minutes from time. There was still time for Dave Pearce to find Barry Hayles in the penalty area, and Hayles controlled and fired in a shot that was blocked. The penalty shoot-out saw fine finishes from Chesham’s first four takers, while Shane Gore made a crucial save from Giorgio Rasulo and nearly kept out Lee Hodson’s effort. Kelvin Bossman had the chance to clinch the tie only for Burns to save, but Gore then saved from Kabongo Tshimanga and Chesham were through.
Ashley Smith 2/5 Callum Brittain
George Fenton 3/2 Lee Hodson
Joe Gater 4 Matthew Upson
Curtis Ujah 5/24 Ben Tilney
Stephan Hamilton-Forbes 6/20 Giorgio Rasulo
Dave Pearce 7/8 Jack Hadden
Matt Taylor 8/21 Dale Jennings
Ryan Blake 9/27 Kabongo Tshimanga
Kelvin Bossman 10/17 Daniel Powell
Toby Little 11/19 Tom Hitchcock
Barry Hayles 12 Andrew McCorkell
Sam Youngs 14/7 Adam Hunt
Callum Dudrenec 15/6 Joe Steele
Ben Ford 16/9 Connor Furlong
Callum Woodcock 17/10 Andrew Osei-Bonsu
Used Substitutes
Youngs for Fenton 65   Hunt for Upson 76
Woodcock for Taylor 76   Furlong for Jennings 82
Hayles for Blake 90   Osei-Bonsu for Hadden 82
Pearce Pen 17   Gater OG 3
Blake 18,86   Hitchcock 11,38
Bossman 103   Osei-Bonsu 115
Penalty Shoot Out
Pearce - Scored   Powell - Scored
Little - Scored   Hodson - Scored
Youngs - Scored   Rasulo - Saved
Hayles - Scored   Hitchcock - Scored
Bossman - Saved   Tshimanga - Saved