Evostik League South Logo

The Evostick League Southern Premier Division

Saturday 9th January 2016

The Walks Stadium, Kings Lynn

Match Report By Simon Newbury

Kings Lynn Town
Att 490
Chesham United
Man Of The Match
Toby Little
Alex Street 1 Shane Gore After three consecutive wins Chesham came back to earth with a defeat on one of the club’s bogey grounds. On a heavy pitch Chesham went behind early on, but were still in the game when the home side scored a second against the run of play, after which there was only ever likely to be one outcome.

Chesham’s starting line-up was unchanged from Tuesday night’s win over St Neots. The weather on the day was at least dry, so the pitch was definitely playable although it cut up very quickly making passing football difficult. Chesham had the first moment of note when Matt Taylor’s long throw was headed on and just missed at the far post by the incoming Joe Gater. However the home side were to take the lead in the twelfth minute, when a cross from the home right was headed out by Sam Youngs and Michael Clunan scored with a first-time shot from just outside the area. King’s Lynn then enjoyed a spell of pressure, Clunan shooting over from Jacek Zielonka’s pull-back and Zielonka cutting in from left and firing in a shot that Shane Gore turned round the near post. From the resulting corner Ryan Fryatt’s header was cleared off the line by Toby Little. However the storm petered out and Chesham began to come back into the game. On 22 minutes Dave Pearce’s corner was cleared, Pearce fired the ball back in and Nick Beasant’s flick was blocked by keeper Alex Street and the follow-up deflected behind. Shortly afterwards Toby Little and Dave Pearce combined down the left but Little was unable to convert the final cross. However on the half-hour the home side doubled their lead, when Clunan’s long free kick into the Chesham area was headed across goal by Kern Miller and Sam Mulready scored with a close-range header. Nine minutes later a Clunan corner was headed wide by Ryan Fryatt although the referee gave another corner. Chesham had another chance late in the half when Ryan Blake’s flick sent Matt Taylor clear to run 40 yards into the penalty area but Street saved, then at the other end Clunan’s free kick from the edge of the area flew just over.

Early in the second half Sam Mulready’s shot was blocked in the area after another Clunan corner was part-cleared. Nine minutes after the restart Joe Gater was injured after bringing down Zielonka to be shown a yellow card, but was unable to run off the injury and was substituted shortly afterwards. Chesham rarely threatened to get back into the game, but the course of the afternoon might have changed on 71 minutes when Toby Little broke forward and fired in a shot that seemed destined for the top corner but Street fingertipped over. After that Chesham’s players looked to conserve their energies for the heavy fixture schedule ahead, and the only other moment of note came when a speculative effort from home sub Dylan Edge flew just past the post late on
Ryan Fryatt 2 Joe Gater
Jordan Yong 3 Toby Little
Kern Miller 4 Nick Beasant
Matt Castellan 5 Curtis Ujah
David Bridges 6 Sam Youngs
Michael Clunan 7 Dave Pearce
Liam Hurst 8 Matt Taylor
Jacek Zielonka 9 Ryan Blake
Lee Stevenson 10 Barry Hayles
Sam Mulready 11 Bruce Wilson
Sam Gaughran 12 Kelvin Bossman
Liam Fryatt 14 Ashley Smith
Dylan Edge 15 Stephan Hamilton-Forbes
- 16 Ben Ford
Joseph Simpson 17 Jamie Eames
Used Substitutes
Edge for Mulready 79   Smith for Gater 60
Fryatt for Stevenson 86   Bossman for Hayles 61
    Eames for Taylor 84
Clunan 12    
Mulready 31    
    Gater 54
    Beasant 75
    Taylor 76