Evostik League South Logo

The Evostick League Southern Premier Division

Tuesday 24th November 2015

Latimer Park, Burton Latimer, Kettering

Match Report By Simon Newbury

Kettering Town
Att 401
Chesham United
Man Of The Match
Matt Taylor
Craig Hill 1 Shane Gore Chesham went down to their second away league defeat in four days. After a bright start Chesham went behind after 20 minutes when Kettering scored a fortunate opener, but within 15 minutes Chesham conceded twice more which eventually killed the game.

Curtis Ujah, Matt Taylor and Ryan Blake returned to the team as any further yellow cards would not come into effect until after the Bradford game. Sam Youngs also started, while Dave Pearce, Brad Wadkins and George Casey dropped to the bench while Bruce Wilson was missing due to work commitments. With the pitch only passed fit shortly before the scheduled start following heavy rain, Chesham went on the attack from the start and Matt Taylor’s low drive skidded off the surface and was pushed away by home keeper Craig Hill. Chesham won a succession of corners but to no avail, and it was the home side who took the lead after 20 minutes. Wilson Carvalho crossed left-footed from wide on the right and the ball looped over Shane Gore and dropped into the net at the far post. Chesham came back and Ashley Smith and Adam Martin both had shots blocked in quick succession and Ryan Blake’s long shot was held by Craig Hill. However two minutes later James Brighton worked himself a shooting chance on the home left and shot across Gore and into the net at the far post to make it 2-0. Still Chesham pressed and Nick Beasant’s shot was blocked after a Toby Little corner, then the resulting corner was headed onto the bar and over by George Fenton. In the next minute Ryan Blake pulled the ball back from the right and Toby Little’s first-time shot was parried by Hill. However in the next minute Carvalho’s angled drive was blocked by Shane Gore, and the resulting corner was touched home by Rene Howe as Chesham waited in vain for the referee to blow for a foul. Chesham had the last attack of the half when Ryan Blake’s angled drive was parried by Hill and cleared for another corner.

Chesham needed to get back in the game quickly after the restart, and a shot on the turn by Sam Youngs flew high and wide early on. Midway through the half Nick Beasant hooked over from a Sam Youngs free kick, then a good move down the left ended with Ryan Blake’s effort somehow being kept out by Hill. Shortly afterwards Matt Taylor crossed back into the home area after a Sam Youngs free kick had been cleared, and the ball dropped to George Fenton who shot over from ten yards. Late in the game Brad Wadkins headed wide from a Matt Taylor corner, then Barry Hayles intercepted a back-pass but slipped as he attempted to score from a narrow angle. With the game over as a contest Kettering could have added a fourth late on but Will Grocott fired over from a good position, then Shane Gore saved smartly at the feet of Wilson Carvalho. Grocott then chipped onto the top of the bar, then in the last minute of normal time Dubi Ogbonna wasted a good opportunity by shooting across goal from wide on the right.
Liam Bareman 2 Ashley Smith
Chris Carruthers 3 George Fenton
Brett Solkhon 4 Nick Beasant
Gary Mulligan 5 Curtis Ujah
Herve Pepe-Ngoma 6 Matt Taylor
Wilson Carvalho 7 Adam Martin
Elliot Sandy 8 Sam Youngs
Rene Howe 9 Ryan Blake
Liam Canavan 10 Kelvin Bossman
James Brighton 11 Toby Little
Andy Gooding 12 Barry Hayles
Will Grocott 14 George Casey
Dominic Langdon 15 Dave Pearce
Dubi Ogbonna 16 Brad Wadkins
Ben Stevens 17/13 George Legg
Used Substitutes
Gooding for Sandy 57   Wadkins for Bossman 45
Grocott for Canavan 69   Casey for Smith 68
Ogbonna for Howe 83   Hayles for Youngs 76
Carvalho 20    
Brighton 25    
Howe 35