Evostik League South Logo

The Evostick League Southern Premier Division

Monday 19th October 2015

Bulpit Lane, Hungerford

Match Report By Simon Newbury

Hungerford Town
Att 123
Chesham United
Man Of The Match
Kelvin Bossman
Paul Strudley 1 George Legg Chesham away league form took another dent with defeat at Hungerford. In contrast to their home form Chesham have now taken only four points from seven away games this season. Chesham were always up against it after conceding another early goal, and while the second goal was slightly unfortunate it left the team with a mountain to climb.

Ashley Smith and Toby Little were recalled after sitting out Saturday’s win over Bideford, replacing George Casey and Curtis Ujah with Nick Beasant switching to the centre of defence. Sam Youngs started in place of Dave Pearce, and with Bruce Wilson struggling with a knee injury Adam Martin went straight into the starting line-up after signing earlier in the day following his release by Slough Town. In the seventh minute Hungerford were awarded a free kick on the edge of the area but Matt Collins’ shot hit Toby Little and bounced away. However two minutes later Stefan Brown was able to get on the end of a right-wing cross and shoot past George Legg into the far corner of the net to give the home side the lead. Chesham came back and Ryan Blake’s cross was headed goalwards by Sam Youngs but home keeper Paul Strudley tipped the ball onto the post and away. Shortly afterwards the home side broke away and Brown skipped past George Legg, but went too wide and the resulting ball into the box was hacked away. Chesham’s best chance of the half came after 20 minutes, when Sam Youngs crossed from the left touchline and Brad Wadkins slid in at the far post but could only lift the ball over the bar. On 32 minutes Hungerford scored a fortunate second when George Legg dived to his right to save a shot from James Rusby, but the ball hit Laurie Stewart and bounced into the net. There was little action until stoppage time, when a Sam Youngs long shot was tipped over the bar by Strudley.

Chesham were still looking vulnerable in defence early in the second half, and Stefan Brown had a free header from a Garyn Preen cross but George Legg produced a fine reaction save. Four minutes later Preen crossed and the referee gave a penalty for a slight tug of the shirt by Toby Little on James Clark, and Nat Jarvis converted the kick to make it 3-0. However Chesham then enjoyed their best spell of the match. Toby Little’s right-wing corner found Laurie Stewart at the far post, but the resulting header went over the bar off the head of a defender. Sam Youngs took the resulting corner from the right and the ball bounced around in the area until Ryan Blake’s shot was cleared off the line. On 59 minutes a Toby Little corner was headed in by Kelvin Bossman to reduce the arrears, but the goal rarely looked like being anything other than a consolation. Hungerford only came close once more, when a James Rusby long throw came off the head of Sam Youngs but Nick Beasant headed away at the far post. Chesham had their moments late on, Ryan Blake shooting over after exchanging passes with Toby Little, then a long cross from Dave Pearce found Matt Taylor who controlled and shot but Strudley saved.
Gary Horgan 2 Ashley Smith
Rhys Tyler 3 Toby Little
Jon Boardman 4 Laurie Stewart
Matt Day 5 Nick Beasant
James Rusby 6 Matt Taylor
James Clark 7 Sam Youngs
Matt Collins 8 Kelvin Bossman
Nat Jarvis 9 Ryan Blake
Stefan Brown 10 Brad Wadkins
Gary Preen 11 Adam Martin
Harry Goodger 12 Dave Pearce
Mike Jones 14 George Fenton
Alan O'Brien 15 Ash Fongho
Diak John 16 George Casey
Dean Stow 17 Allen Bossman
Used Substitutes
Jones for Boardman 15   Pearce for Youngs 68
O'Brien for Preen 78   Fenton for Smith 80
Stow for Clark 78   A Bossman for Little 80
Brown 9   K Bossman 59
Stewart OG 32    
Jarvis Pen 54    
Horgan 70