Evostik League South Logo

The Evostick League Southern Premier Division

Tuesday 1st March 2016

The Meadow, Chesham

Match Report By Simon Newbury

Photos By Trevor Hyde

Chesham United
Att 172
Man Of The Match
Sam Youngs
Shane Gore 1 Denzel Gerrar Chesham moved up three places towards the relative comfort of mid-table with this straightforward win. Chesham took control of the game from the off and stayed in command for most of the 90 minutes.

Matt Taylor swapped places with Stephan Hamilton-Forbes, and Kelvin Bossman with Barry Hayles in the only two changes. Toby Little was back on the bench after missing the Bideford game through injury. Chesham went on the attack from the kick-off with the wind in their favour, and in the second minute Sam Youngs’s shot from the edge of the area beat visiting keeper Denzel Gerrar but came back off the post. Chesham stayed on top but the next chance did not come until 18 minutes, when Histon’s defence completely misjudged a long ball which let in Dave Pearce but his attempted chip was easily held by Gerrar. Seven minutes later Ryan Blake won the ball and attempted to round Gerrar but the keeper got a touch on the ball which rolled wide of the empty net. Shortly afterwards Chesham were a awarded a free kick on the right touchline, and Ben Ford attempted to catch out Gerrar at his near post but the keeper pushed the ball round the post. Kelvin Bossman then had a shot from out on the right which Gerrar chose to kick away, but Chesham finally broke through after 40 minutes. A cross from the Chesham left came to Kelvin Bossman whose shot on the turn was blocked, but the ball ran loose to Sam Youngs who fired home.

George Fenton was injured in the last minute of the first half, and was replaced at the interval by Joe Gater. Chesham continued on the attack and Bruce Wilson crossed to Kelvin Bossman, whose effort was saved by Gerrar but Bossman was flagged offside anyway. Dave Pearce’s free kick from wide on the right was headed back across goal by Joe Gater to Kelvin Bossman whose header was saved by Gerrar. On 54 minutes Histon had their first half-chance when Pat Bexfield played the ball forward, the ball came to Curtis Fulcher who turned and shot but mishit his effort well wide. Three minutes later Dave Pearce crossed from the left towards Ryan Blake, and the ball dropped to Sam Youngs who fired over from just inside the area. Histon then missed a great chance when Nick Freeman was clean through and side-footed past Shane Gore but also past the far post. Sub Matty Allan then shot on the turn but the ball went tamely wide, but Chesham moved two goals clear just after the hour. Sam Youngs blocked a clearance and found Ryan Blake, who drew the defence and set up Youngs who drilled the ball low into the net. Histon never recovered and Matt Taylor’s long throw was headed over by the unmarked Barry Hayles, then Ryan Blake’s curling shot from the left edge of the area beat Gerrar but came back off the bar. The last quarter of the game was largely uneventful, but on 87 minutes a quick Chesham break involving Barry Hayles and Bruce Wilson ended with Dave Pearce’s shot beating Gerrar but hitting the outside of the post. In stoppage time Histon had one more attack, which ended with Pat Bexfield crossing to Ross Elsom who headed over.
Ashley Smith 2 Harry Norman 
Ben Ford 3 Elkanah Sibanda
George Fenton 4 Pat Bexfield
Curtis Ujah 5 Miles Smith
Matt Taylor 6 Danny Rumens
Dave Pearce 7 Joe Carden
Sam Youngs 8 Rogan McGeorge
Ryan Blake 9 Josh Oyinsan
Kelvin Bossman 10 Curtis Fulcher
Bruce Wilson 11 Nick Freeman
Barry Hayles 12 Matty Allan
Joe Gater 14 Dan Gleeson
Kabongo Tshimanga 15 Danny Gould
Toby Little 16 Aysa Ourtilbour
Stephan Hamilton-Forbes 17 Ross Elsom
Used Substitutes
Gater for Fenton 45   Allan for Oyinsan 58
Hayles for Bossman 65   Elson for Fulcher 58
Tshimanga for Blake 82   Ourtilbour for Carden 79
Youngs 40,63    
    Sibanda 49
    McGeorge 76