Evostik League South Logo

The Evostick League Southern Premier Division

Saturday 22nd August 2015

The Meadow, Chesham

Match Report By Simon Newbury

Photos By Trevor Hyde

Chesham United
Att 241
Frome Town
Man Of The Match
Brad Wadkins
George Legg 1 Darren Chitty Chesham recovered from the shock of conceding an early goal to romp to a comfortable win over Frome. After Chesham took the lead shortly before half-time, the game became a rout and the only doubt in the second half was how many Chesham would score.

Tommy Fletcher was ruled out by an injury sustained in the closing moments of the midweek game at Cambridge, so Ash Fongho made his first start at left-back with Ashley Smith reverting to the right. Brad Wadkins started the game with Barry Hayles reverting to the bench. On a sweltering afternoon Chesham were caught out in the fourth minute, as they waited for an offside flag when Ollie Taylor broke down the visitors’ right and ran on to finish past George Legg. Chesham came back and Sam Youngs ran at the visitors’ defence and shot but visiting keeper Darren Chitty parried. Chesham struggled for a while until the 25th minute, when Ryan Blake set up Brad Wadkins on the right and Wadkins drew the keeper before squaring for Blake to tap in. Frome came back and George Legg dived to his right to push away a 25-yard shot from Joe Tumelty. However Chesham took the lead after 35 minutes when a right-wing move ended with Dave Pearce squaring for Brad Wadkins to control and shoot past Chitty into the far corner. Chesham continued on the attack, Bruce Wilson collecting a return pass from Brad Wadkins and attempting to lift the ball over Chitty but the keeper stuck out a hand to save.

In the opening minute of the second half Ashley Smith found Ryan Blake, whose shot across goal was turned in at the far post by Brad Wadkins but the goal was disallowed for offside. On the hour mark Matt Taylor’s long throw was cleared as far as Sam Youngs whose shot took a deflection and rolled just wide. With Frome showing no threat Chesham brought on Barry Hayles, and four minutes later Hayles stole in unmarked to control Ashley Smith’s cross and slot home Chesham’s third. On 74 minutes Hayles broke away down the left, drew the keeper and squared for Brad Wadkins to tap in. By now Chesham were tearing open the visitors’ defence at will and only some desperate last-ditch defending kept the score down. Twelve minutes from time sub Tashan Dwyer’s shot was partly blocked and pushed away by Chitty, then a short corner from Dave Pearce came to Sam Youngs whose shot through a crowd of players was just wide. Dwyer and Hayles both came close before a speculative effort from Sam Youngs beat Chitty but came back off the post. In the last minute of normal time a long ball from Bruce Wilson again split the Frome defence, Dave Pearce’s effort was blocked by Chitty but the ball looped up for Barry Hayles to round off the scoring.
Ash Fongho 2 Jake Hutchings
Ashley Smith 3 Lee Sweet
Laurie Stewart 4 Steve Hulbert
Nick Beasant 5 Chris McGrath
Matt Taylor 6 Callum Thompson
Dave Pearce 7 Joe Tumelty
Sam Youngs 8 Jon Vance
Ryan Blake 9 Ben Thomson
Brad Wadkins 10 Ollie Taylor
Bruce Wilson 11 Kris Miller
Barry Hayles 12 Alex Stafei
Stephan Hamilton-Forbes 14 Brad Miles 
Tashan Dwyer 15 Ricky Hulbert
George Fenton 16 Matt Minnis
Toby Little 17 -
Used Substitutes
Hayles for Blake 62   Stafei for Miller 41
Dwyer for Wadkins 76   Miles for Thomspon 56
Fenton for Fongho 79   R Hulbert for Vance 66
Blake 25   Taylor 4
Wadkins 35, 74    
Hayles 66, 90    
    Hulbert 54
    Hutchings 90+2