Evostik League South Logo

The FA Trophy Third Round Qualifying Replay

Tuesday 1st December 2015

The Meadow, Chesham

Match Report By Simon Newbury

Chesham United
Att 214
Frome Town
Man Of The Match
George Fenton
Shane Gore 1 Darren Chitty Chesham made it to the First Round Proper of the FA Trophy with a very late winner against Frome. This was a long way from a vintage Chesham performance, but they made it through without extra time after the visitors lost their discipline in the second half.

With Nick Beasant missing through injury, George Casey started on the right of midfield with Ashley Smith in the centre of defence. The other changes saw Dave Pearce and Kelvin Bossman come in for Barry Hayles and Brad Wadkins who were both on the bench, while the visitors made three changes. The first half-hour passed almost entirely without incident, Frome having the first chance when Jon Davies had a shot deflected wide. From the resulting corner Sam Teale headed goalwards but Shane Gore pushed the ball away to his left. Teale then glanced a header wide from a Davies free kick, then Chesham began to stretch the opposition defence for the first time. Ryan Blake’s run ended with a pass to Dave Pearce, who shot and the ball came to Kelvin Bossman whose effort was just off target. Another neat Chesham move set up George Casey for a low cross that just eluded Blake, Bossman and Pearce. However the best chance of the half came at the other end when Chesham failed to clear and Liam Monelle set up Rob Hobbs who miskicked in front of goal. At the other end Dave Pearce crossed from the left towards Sam Youngs who was just denied at the expense of a corner, but Frome took the lead in first-half stoppage time. Chesham’s defence failed to deal with a hopeful punt forward and Mitchell Page stole in to touch the ball past the advancing Shane Gore and into the corner of the net.

Chesham came out with more urgency after the interval, and within seven minutes Adam Martin broke into the penalty area only to be brought down by Sam Teale. Dave Pearce blasted the penalty high into the net to equalise. Frome seemed to think that the world was against them and Liam Monelle fell theatrically in the penalty area and was booked for diving, provoking further dissent and a booking for Sam Teale. At the other end Ryan Blake’s lay-off saw Dave Pearce shoot into the side netting at the near post. Midway through the half a cross from sub Toby Little was headed goalwards by Kelvin Bossman but keeper Darren Chitty produced a smart reaction save. Six minutes from time Frome manager Nick Bunyard was sent to the stands by the referee on the advice of his linesman. Chances continued to come at both ends, Tyler Sibbick failing to connect with a Darren Jefferies cross, then Sam Youngs’ shot beat Chitty but was just over the bar. It looked as if the game was heading into extra time, but in the second minute of stoppage time a long throw from Adam Martin was headed by Teale across his own goal and George Fenton was able to nod into the net at the far post to send Chesham through.
Ashley Smith 2 Connor Roberts
Ash Fongho 3 Kris Miller
George Casey 4 Rob Hobbs
George Fenton 5 Sam Teale
Adam Martin 6 Jordy Nkunga
Dave Pearce 7 Jon Davies
Sam Youngs 8 Jordan Walker
Ryan Blake 9 Liam Monelle
Kelvin Bossman 10 Mitchell Page
Bruce Wilson 11 Ricky Hulbert
Barry Hayles 12 Tyler Sibbick
Matt Taylor 14 Darren Jefferies
Brad Wadkins 15 Josh Jefferies
Toby Little 16 James Fitzgibbon
Curtis Ujah 17 Zayne Alime
Used Substitutes
Ujah for Fongho 57   Sibbick for Page 73
Little for Casey 65   Fitzgibbon for Davies 73
Hayles for Bossman 72   D Jefferies for Hulbert 77
Pearce Pen 53   Page 45+1
Fenton 90+2    
Martin 58   Miller 52
Fenton 68   Davies 54
Hayles 89   Monelle 61
    Teale 62