Evostik League South Logo

The Evostick League Southern Premier Division

Wednesday 6th April 2016

Blindmans Brewery Stadium, Frome

Match Report By Simon Newbury

Frome Town
Att 147
Chesham United
Man Of The Match
Dave Pearce
Alex Shaftoe 1 Shane Gore Chesham fought back from a goal down to equalise and could easily have won after dominating the second half. This was a much better performance than the Poole game, but in the end Chesham finished with only one point after frustration with the officials eventually led to a red card for Nick Beasant immediately after the final whistle.

With Ashley Smith away and Stephan Hamilton-Forbes missing due to work commitments, Joe Gater started at right back and Matt Taylor in midfield. Shane Gore made his 300th appearance for the club. Frome started brightly but Chesham had the first real chance, when Joe Gater found Sam Youngs whose close-range shot was blocked by home keeper Alex Shaftoe. Midway through the half Shane Gore dived to turn away a shot from Michael Bryant, then from the resulting corner Sam Teale headed powerfully but Gore excelled to divert the ball over the bar. On 28 minutes Jake Jackson’s shot was blocked, the resulting corner was taken short and Darren Jefferies’ angled drive beat Shane Gore at his near post to give the home side the lead. Chesham looked to come back and Joe Gater’s ball forward was headed back towards his own goal by a home defender, Matt Taylor seized on the ball and was about to break clear when the linesman strangely flagged for offside. The last action of the half saw Kris Miller’s 30-yard free kick clear the bar by a couple of yards.

Early in the second half Michael Bryant shot over from the edge of the area, but Chesham had been starting to get forward and equalised after 55 minutes. Dave Pearce’s right-wing free kick was headed down by Nick Beasant and Curtis Ujah hooked the ball into the net after his first effort was parried by the goalkeeper. Frome faded as an attacking force, and midway through the half Sam Youngs’ angled drive from wide on the right was tipped away by Shaftoe. Shortly afterwards Matt Taylor’s long throw came to Ryan Blake who had a free header but nodded straight at Shaftoe. In a rare Frome attack Darren Jefferies shot powerfully but over the bar. However Chesham still looked the more likely to score, Joe Gater controlling a ball into the visitors’ area and hooking goalwards but just over the bar with the keeper beaten. Sam Youngs’ free kick from 35 yards curled just over the bar, then Ryan Blake broke clear and chipped the ball over the advancing keeper but also over the bar. Chesham had been frustrated at being penalised almost every time a set piece was played into the home area, and Nick Beasant’s frustration showed late on when he appeared to have his ankles tapped as the home team cleared another free kick. Deep into stoppage time Ryan Blake broke clear and miscontrolled, but the danger was by no means over when the referee blew the final whistle, prompting Beasant to say something for which the referee showed him a straight red card.
Kris Miller 2 Joe Gater
Sam Teale 3 Toby Little
George Miller 4 Nick Beasant
Chris McPhee 5 Curtis Ujah
Conor Roberts 6 Matt Taylor
Jon Davies 7 Dave Pearce
Michael Bryant 8 Sam Youngs
Jake Jackson 9 Ryan Blake
Dan Cleverley 10 Barry Hayles
Darren Jefferies 11 Bruce Wilson
Jordan Walker 12 Kelvin Bossman
Blake Davies 14 Ben Ford
Rob Hobbs 15 George Fenton
Marcus Mapstone 16 -
Zayne Alime 17 -
Used Substitutes
Hobbs for Bryant 64   Bossman for Hayles 78
Walker for Miller 64   Fenton for Gater 78
Davies for Jackson 82    
Jefferies 28   Ujah 55
Davies 67   Beasant 67
Jefferies 83   Wilson 83
Teale 88    
Sent Off
    Beasant 90+5