Evostik League South Logo

The Evostick League Southern Premier Division

Saturday 19th September 2015

The Corinium Stadium, Cirencester

Match Report By Simon Newbury

Cirencester Town
Att 137
Chesham United
Man Of The Match
Sam Youngs
Glyn Garner 1 Shane Gore Chesham went down to their heaviest defeat of the season against a Cirencester team who moved into second place as a result of this win. Chesham were well in the game at the interval despite the early loss of Barry Hayles to injury, but poor marking at corners saw the home team score twice early in the second half. After that Chesham never looked like getting back into the game and finished well beaten.

There was just one change to the starting line-up, Dave Pearce returning in place of Brad Wadkins who was away. Immanuelson Duku and Ben Ford made their debuts as second-half substitutes. In the second minute of the game Barry Hayles took a knock as he challenged for a loose ball in the home penalty area, and was eventually forced to go off to be replaced by Nick Beasant. After 15 minutes Cirencester had their best moment of the half when Zack Kotwica’s corner found the head of Ben Brown at the far post, but Shane Gore parried and the ball was scrambled away. On the half-hour Kotwica volleyed over after a sliced clearance from Curtis Ujah was punched clear by Gore, but otherwise the defence was rarely troubled. Chesham occasionally produced some neat football and Ryan Blake’s pace caused some problems for the home defence, but the half ended without a worthwhile effort on goal.

Three minutes after the restart Cirencester took the lead, when Zack Kotwica’s corner was headed into the roof of the net by the unmarked Leigh Henry. Chesham were forced to increase the tempo and the home side took advantage, Zack Kotwica firing just over from 25 yards. On the hour Chesham conceded a second goal for the first time this season, Kotwica’s right-wing corner finding its way beyond the far post where Ben Brown fired through a crowd of players and into the net. Chesham needed to get back into the game quickly, and Sam Youngs advanced down the left and shot just wide of the near post. However midway through the half Kotwica advanced down the home right and set up Brad Hooper, who controlled and shot into the corner of the net from twelve yards. With the game over as a contest the home side could have had a fourth, but Mark Pritchett headed wide from another Kotwica corner. In stoppage time Kotwica fired over from the edge of the area as a demoralised Chesham team waited for the final whistle.
Gethin Jones 2 Ashley Smith
Mark Pritchett 3 Toby Little
Ben Brown 4 Laurie Stewart
Brad Hooper 5 Curtis Ujah
Leigh Henry 6 Matt Taylor
Zack Kotwica 7 Dave Pearce
James Mortimer-Jones 8 Sam Youngs
Charlie Griffin 9 Ryan Blake
Ross Langworthy 10 Barry Hayles
Josh Parsons 11 Bruce Wilson
Aidan Bennett 12 Ben Ford
Ollie Knight 14 Tommy Fletcher
Sam Far 15 Nick Beasant
Charlie Buse 16 Immanuelson Duku
Josh Langley  17/13 George Legg
Used Substitutes
Bennett for Henry 72   Beasant for Hayles 8
Knight for Parsons 76   Duku for Pearce 68
Buse for Langworthy 85   Ford for Wilson 76
Henry 48    
Brown 60    
Hooper 70    
Langworthy 45+2   Stewart 81
    Smith 86