Evostik League South Logo

The Evostick League Southern Premier Division

Tuesday 15th March 2016

Hardenhuish Park, Chippenham

Match Report By Simon Newbury

Chippenham Town
Att 266
Chesham United
Man Of The Match
Curtis Ujah
Kent Kauppinen 1 Shane Gore Chesham are now unbeaten in five games after this draw against promotion-chasing Chippenham. With the home team expecting to win there was much more of a competitive edge than at Biggleswade, but Chesham frustrated the home side for long periods and were good value for a point.

With Ashley Smith and Bruce Wilson injured and Matt Taylor away on business, Chesham were forced to reshuffle with Joe Gater continuing at right-back and Nick Beasant in the centre of defence, while Stephan Hamilton-Forbes and Adam Martin started in midfield. The other change saw Toby Little return at left-back in place of Ben Ford. The home team started the game on the attack and in the opening minute Matt Jones shot powerfully but straight at Shane Gore. However Chesham began to looked the more likely to score and did in the eighteenth minute. Dave Pearce’s right-wing corner was not dealt with by the home defence, and the ball dropped to Ryan Blake who hooked the ball into the net from close range. The home team quickly became frustrated and played very little constructive football, although Matt Jones’ free kick was turned round the post and Alex Ferguson shot wide after a long throw was headed out by Nick Beasant. Chesham were playing the more relaxed football and doubled their lead after 42 minutes. Home keeper Kent Kauppinen came out of his area to clear but only succeeded in hitting the ball straight to Kelvin Bossman, who had the presence of mind to control the ball and shoot into the centre of the unguarded net from 35 yards.

Chippenham were starting to look a beaten side, but in the opening 30 seconds of the second half Matt Jones crossed from the left and Alan Griffin stole in ahead of Shane Gore to glance a header over the line. That gave the home team new heart, but it was not until after the hour mark that they began to exert some serious pressure. After a succession of corners Greg Tindle headed in a Matt Jones corner to equalise. In the next minute James Guthrie shot from the edge of the area, the ball struck a team-mate and rolled just wide. However Chesham weathered the storm and began to threaten on the break, although Shane Gore was forced to save from a Matt Jones free kick and from Alan Griffin’s follow-up. On 79 minutes Jones crossed low from the left and Oli Taylor’s shot was parried by Gore. Four minutes later the home side had their best chance when Alec Fiddes crossed to Alan Griffin who had a free header but failed to make contact. However Chesham had a great chance themselves to win the game, when Kabongo Tshimanga crossed from the right to Sam Youngs, who had time to control the ball and shoot but mishit his shot wide with only Kauppinen to beat.
Luke Ballinger 2 Joe Gater
Harry Grant 3 Toby Little
Michael Pook 4 Nick Beasant
Greg Tindle 5 Curtis Ujah
Mark Preece 6 Stephan Hamilton-Forbes
Alex Ferguson 7 Dave Pearce
James Guthrie 8 Sam Youngs
Alan Griffin 9 Ryan Blake
Oli Taylor 10 Kelvin Bossman
Matt Jones 11 Adam Martin
Jon Beedon 12 Barry Hayles 
Chris Allen 14 Ben Ford
Alex Fiddes 15 Kabongo Tshimanga
Ryan Campbell 16 Chris Cutler
Ben Whitehead 17 Shaun Reece
Used Substitutes
Fiddes for Ballinger 45   Hayles for Bossman 76
Allen for Taylor 81   Tshimanga for Blake 83
Griffin 46   Blake 18
Tindle 65   Bossman 42