Evostik League South Logo

The Evostick League Southern Premier Division

Tuesday 9th February 2016

The Meadow, Chesham

Match Report By Simon Newbury

Photos By Trevor Hyde

Chesham United
Att 178
Biggleswade Town
Man Of The Match
Matt Taylor
Shane Gore 1 Garry Malone Chesham finished their run of three home matches in eight days with a draw to accompany a win and a defeat. After a customary slow start Chesham improved in the second half, and had chances to win the game but failed to take them.

Chesham’s starting line-up was unchanged from Saturday’s game against Cirencester. Chesham made a hesitant start and went behind early on. Joe Gater was booked for a shirt-pull on Inih Effiong on the edge of the area, Effiong took the free kick himself, and the ball crashed against the bar and down and was eventually scrambled away. However in the next minute Craig Daniel fired in a shot from 30 yards that Shane Gore punched away, and Max York seized on the loose ball and fired into the roof of the net to give the visitors the lead. Chesham struggled for fluency early on and their first chance came after 18 minutes, when Kelvin Bossman’s through pass found Ryan Blake whose hurried shot went wide of the near post. The visitors’ only other moment of note came shortly afterwards, when Inih Effiong met a left-wing cross at the near post but stabbed the ball over the bar. Towards half-time Chesham improved and Dave Pearce squared to Stephan Hamilton-Forbes who shot over from the edge of the area. In the last minute of the half Curtis Ujah met Dave Pearce’s corner at the near post, but could not get any power into his header and Malone saved easily.

Early in the second half Inih Effiong broke down the visitors’ left and could have squared to the unmarked Conor Vincent, but went for goal himself and Share Gore saved comfortably. Within seconds Chesham equalised when Matt Taylor seized on a loose ball just outside the Biggleswade area, held off a defender and ran on to lift the ball into the top corner of the net as Malone came out. Chesham looked more positive but there was little goalmouth action at either end, although Craig Daniel tried to catch out Shane Gore with an angled drive towards the near post but Gore was equal to it. Towards the end Chesham looked the more likely winners, Kelvin Bossman curling a shot wide of the far post following good work by Ryan Blake on the left. Barry Hayles then replaced Blake, and chested the ball down for Dave Pearce to fire in a shot that Malone tipped away. After the resulting corner was cleared Sam Youngs squared from the left to Curtis Ujah, who stabbed the ball wide of the near post. Youngs then crossed from the left to Barry Hayles who controlled, and looked sure to score but shot over the bar. Two minutes from the end Dave Pearce had a shooting chance but his effort lacked power and Malone saved. In the fourth minute of stoppage time a Chesham corner was crossed back in by Kelvin Bossman, Sam Youngs fired in a shot that Malone dived to his left to turn away, and a scramble followed before the ball was cleared to Ashley Smith who blazed over from distance.
Joe Gater 2 Max York
Toby Little 3 Michael King
George Fenton 4 Ian Rees
Curtis Ujah 5 Gavin Hoyte
Stephan Hamilton-Forbes 6 Andrew Iwediuno
Dave Pearce 7 Craig Daniel
Matt Taylor 8 Callum Lewis
Ryan Blake 9 Inih Effiong
Kelvin Bossman 10 Connor Vincent
Bruce Wilson 11 Chris Marsh
Barry Hayles 12 Sam Merson
Nick Beasant 14 Lee Allinson
Sam Youngs 15 -
Ashley Smith 16 -
Ben Ford 17 -
Used Substitutes
Youngs for Hamilton-Forbes 63   Merson for Vincent 56
Smith for Gater 73    
Hayles for Blake 78    
Taylor 48   York 4
Gater 3   Rees 64