Evostik League South Logo

The Evostick League Southern Premier Division

Saturday 12th March 2016

Carlsberg Stadium, Biggleswade

Match Report By Simon Newbury

Biggleswade Town
Att 147
Chesham United
Man Of The Match
Sam Youngs
Ian Brown 1 Shane Gore A late penalty gave the home team a point in a game that had a bit of an end-of-season feel about it.

Chesham were unchanged from last week’s win over Bedworth, Adam Martin making an appearance as a second-half substitute after missing eight matches with a knee injury. Early on Biggleswade’s Tony Burnett scuffed a shooting chance wide from a good position, but it was Chesham who took the lead in the seventh minute. Sam Youngs shot powerfully but straight at Ian Brown, but the veteran goalkeeper allowed the ball to slip from his grasp and over the line. Dave Pearce crossed low from the left towards Kelvin Bossman but his effort was blocked and Brown dived on the ball. The home team had shown little in attack, but on 27 minutes Tony Burnett outpaced the Chesham defence and ran on to shoot past Shane Gore to equalise. Six minutes later Sam Youngs’ shot was turned round the post by Brown, but in the next minute came a moment of controversy. Youngs again ran at the home defence and had his ankles clipped on the edge of the area, but carried on and shot into the corner of the net. However a split second before the ball crossed the line, the referee blew for a free kick to Chesham for the original foul. Biggleswade protested when the goal was awarded, and the referee clearly made a mistake but would have made an even bigger one had he not allowed the goal to stand.

Ashley Smith was withdrawn at half-time as a precaution, having felt a muscle twinge, so Nick Beasant came into the centre of defence with Joe Gater switching to right back. In the second minute after the restart Inih Effiong headed over from an Ian Rees corner, but after that there was little incident of note. Midway through the half Dave Pearce and Kelvin Bossman combined to set up Ryan Blake but Brown saved comfortably, then at the other end the ball dropped to Inih Effiong who shot tamely wide. The best effort of the half came from Dave Pearce whose long-range effort beat Brown but was just over the bar. Sam Youngs had already been deprived of one shooting chance by a horrendous bobble on the edge of the area, then shortly afterwards a snap shot flew just wide of the near post. Two minutes from time Mark Coulson’s free kick went under the Chesham wall but Shane Gore read the situation and saved. However in the next minute the referee, maybe keen to atone for his earlier error, gave a penalty when Nick Beasant and Ian Rees challenged for a loose ball in the area and Tony Burnett equalised.
Max York  2 Ashley Smith
Mark Coulson 3 Ben Ford
Evan Key 4 Joe Gater
Gavin Hoyte 5 Curtis Ujah
Callum Lewis 6 Matt Taylor
Craig Daniel 7 Dave Pearce
Ian Rees 8 Sam Youngs
Inih Effiong 9 Ryan Blake
Tony Burnett 10 Kelvin Bossman
Sam Merson 11 Bruce Wilson
Chris Marsh 12 Adam Martin
Andrew Iwediuno 14 Nick Beasant
Connor Vincent 15 Kabongo Tshimanga
Michael King 16 Toby Little
Russell Short 17 Stephan Hamilton-Forbes
Used Substitutes
Marsh for Effiong 69   Beasant for Smith 45
King for Merson 69   Martin for Taylor 73 
    Hamilton-Forbes for Wilson 82
Burnett 27, Pen 90   Youngs 7, 34
Rees 43   Ujah 45+1
    Wilson 60