Evostik League South Logo

The Evostick League Southern Premier Division

Saturday 17th October 2015

The Meadow, Chesham

Match Report By Simon Newbury

Chesham United
Att 243
Man Of The Match
Matt Taylor
George Legg 1 Kyle Moore Chesham strolled to a comfortable win over struggling Bideford. Chesham were set back on their heels after Bideford’s surprise equaliser early in the second half, but two quick goals meant that the game was ultimately won in some comfort.

There were four changes following Tuesday night’s defeat at Slough in the Red Insure Cup. George Casey, Curtis Ujah and Ryan Blake returned to the starting line-up and Nick Beasant came in at left back, with Ashley Smith, Toby Little, George Fenton and Sam Youngs all on the bench. The opening stages of the game matched the quiet atmosphere in the ground, and Bideford had their best moment of the game on 12 minutes when Sean Downing rose to head a Richard Groves free kick back across goal to Matt Andrew who shot wide from ten yards. Chesham came back with Ryan Blake crossing from the right towards Brad Wadkins, and the ball was cleared as far as Matt Taylor who shot over. On the half-hour a Groves free kick was turned round the post by George Legg, but after the resulting corner was cleared Chesham pushed forward and Bruce Wilson’s pass sent Kelvin Bossman clear to shoot into the corner of the net as keeper Kyle Moore came out.

Chesham were rocked in the third minute after the restart, when Billy Tucker crossed from the left and the ball came off Curtis Ujah for what seemed to be a corner. However the referee judged that the ball had hit Ujah’s outstretched arm and awarded a penalty which Groves converted to make it 1-1. However the visitors were level for just five minutes. Dave Pearce’s free kick came to Nick Beasant at the far post, Beasant hooked the ball goalwards and Brad Wadkins glanced a header over the keeper and into the far top corner of the net. Another neat move followed soon after, when Ryan Blake broke down the right and set up Dave Pearce whose shot was saved by Moore low to his left. Just after the hour mark Brad Wadkins’ neat reverse pass found Matt Taylor, who ran along the by-line and shot into the net past the keeper and defender Chris McGrath at the near post. Chesham had one more chance after 70 minutes, when Kelvin Bossman and Brad Wadkins combined down the left to set up Sam Youngs whose shot from the edge of the area curled wide of the far post. Five minutes from time Bideford were awarded a free kick on their left, which Richard Groves took and the ball flew past the far post without anyone getting a touch, but otherwise Chesham were untroubled and saw out the game in some comfort.
George Casey 2 Nick Milton
Nick Beasant 3 Stephen Reed
Laurie Stewart 4 Sean Downing
Curtis Ujah 5 Chris McGrath
Matt Taylor 6 Dan Harrison
Dave Pearce 7 Richard Groves
Kelvin Bossman 8 Matt Hockley
Ryan Blake 9 Kevin Squire
Brad Wadkins 10 Matt Andrew
Bruce Wilson 11 Billy Tucker
Stephan Hamilton-Forbes 12 Nick Barker
George Fenton 14 Ben Wood
Ashley Smith 15 Josh Grant
Toby Little 16 -
Sam Youngs 17 -
Used Substitutes
Youngs for Wilson 64   Wood for Downing 67
Hamilton-Forbes for Blake 74   Grant for Squire 67
Little for Bossman 82   Barker for Andrew 75
Bossman 32   Groves Pen 49
Wadkins 54    
Taylor 62    
    Downing 24