Evostik League South Logo

The Emirates FA Cup First Round Qualifying Replay

Tuesday 17th September 2015

Haywood Way, Aylesbury

Match Report By Simon Newbury

Aylesbury FC
Att 163
Chesham United
Man Of The Match
Laurie Stewart
James Weatherill 1 Shane Gore Chesham showed that last Saturday was an off-day by securing a win that was much more comprehensive than the scoreline might suggest. Chesham could have been further than two goals ahead at the interval given their overall dominance, and even the concession of a bizarre goal just after the restart failed to upset their progress.

Chesham made a solitary change from Saturday’s team, bringing in Barry Hayles for Dave Pearce and playing Brad Wadkins much deeper, while Aylesbury were unchanged. Chesham had the first effort on goal after six minutes when Hayles fired over from 30 yards, and from then on Chesham controlled the rest of the half. On 17 minutes Toby Little’s cross from the left was retrieved at the far post by Ryan Blake, who controlled and shot across keeper James Weatherill and into the net to give Chesham the lead. On the half-hour Chesham were awarded a free kick 30 yards out, and Toby Little’s shot beat Weatherill but came back off the near post. Four minutes later Ryan Blake found the overlapping Ashley Smith whose low cross was met by Sam Youngs, but his effort flew past the far post. On 38 minutes Chesham scored a second goal, when Bruce Wilson’s right-wing corner was turned goalwards by Barry Hayles who eventually forced the ball over the line after a scramble. Towards half-time James Weatherill miskicked an attempted clearance and nearly let in Brad Wadkins, but the ball eventually went out off Wadkins for a goal kick. In the last minute of normal time a neat move down the left saw Sam Youngs cross to Ryan Blake, who turned the ball goalwards but just wide of the near post.

The home side had not managed an effort on goal in the half, but were gifted a goal just after the restart. A harmless-looking cross from the home left caused confusion between Shane Gore and Toby Little, and eventually Gore palmed the ball onto Little’s back from where it trickled over the line. However Chesham soon resumed control of the game, and a Sam Youngs free kick found the head of Laurie Stewart whose header was blocked, then Weatherill fumbled a shot from Sam Youngs at the expense of a corner. Midway through the half a short corner allowed Sam Youngs space to fire in a shot that Weatherill turned round the post. With the home team posing little threat Chesham were content to see out time but still looked the more likely to score again. Ten minutes from the end Curtis Ujah headed wide from a Bruce Wilson corner. It was not until deep into stoppage time that Aylesbury produced a shot on goal, a hurried effort from Lynton Goss that flew well wide, and Chesham were though to the Second Qualifying Round for the first time since 2011.
Jeanmal Prosper 2 Ashley Smith
James Dobson 3 Toby Little
Ben Bateman 4 Laurie Stewart
Kyle Anthony 5 Curtis Ujah 
Ben Stevens 6 Matt Taylor
Ryan O'Toole 7 Barry Hayles
Davis Haule 8 Sam Youngs
Brian Haule 9 Ryan Blake
Jamie Rudd 10 Brad Wadkins
Lynton Goss 11 Bruce Wilson
Terry Dixon 12 Dave Pearce
Lamar Simpson 20/13 George Legg
Rob Tomlin 14 Tommy Fletcher
David Lynn 19/15 Ash Fongho
Ken Feyi 16 Stephan Hamilton-Forbes
Grant Fryer 17 Nick Beasant
Danny Murphy 18 Ben Ford
Used Substitutes
Simpson for Rudd 62    
Tomlin for Bateman 62    
Feyi for O'Toole 80    
Little (OG) 47   Blake 17
    Hayles 38
    Ujah 17
    Hayles 48
    Smith 84
    Taylor 88