Evostik League South Logo

St Neots Town (H) Tuesday 12th August 7.45pm

The Meadow, Chesham
Photos by Trevor Hyde

Chesham United
Att 331
St Neots Town
Man of the Match:
Ryan Blake
 Shane Gore 1 Nathan Abbey  Chesham put on a superb show in the first half, but finished with only one point after St Neots staged a comeback aided by a large slice of good fortune.

With Richard Graham kept out by the injury sustained last Saturday, the only change saw Stephan Hamilton come into midfield.  Chesham looked the more positive team from the start, and in the fourth minute Ryan Blake shot across goal from the right and the ball was hacked away from Simon Thomas and Mark Bell.  After 16 minutes Dave Fotheringham won the ball in midfield and found Ashley Smith on the left, and Smith’s low cross was turned into the net by Ryan Blake to give Chesham the lead.  Blake then forced keeper Nathan Abbey to dive to his left to turn away a 25-yard shot, while a long-range effort from Dave Fotheringham flew just over the bar.  After 25 minutes Simon Thomas won the ball on the right and crossed low for Blake to notch Chesham’s second.  Six minutes later Ashley Smith dispossessed Gavin Hoyte and sent Blake clear to lash the ball past Abbey to make it 3-0.  Still Chesham looked more likely to score, Mark Bell cutting in from the left to shoot past the far post, then Ashley Smith crossed from the left to the unmarked Ryan Blake who could only head past the far post.

Early in the second half Abbey had to be alert to turn away a snap shot from Ashley Smith.  The visitors had posed no threat so brought on Nathan Frater before the hour mark, and he was in the game straight away although the Chesham defence took exception to some overly physical challenges.  Two minutes after coming on Frater turned in a low cross from Lewis Hilliard to reduce the arrears.  Chesham came back with Ryan Blake having a shot blocked, then at the other end a Hilliard shot was tipped over by Shane Gore.  Midway through the half Ryan Blake was in space on the left and spotted Abbey not guarding his near post, and his angled effort came back off the post to Simon Thomas who netted but was flagged offside.  St Neots came back with Nathan Frater glancing a header wide from a Jay Davies cross.  The visitors were more in the game in the second half, but Chesham seemed to have weathered the storm when they conceded a freak second goal on 78 minutes.  Ryan Frater punted the ball hopefully towards goal from 40 yards, and the ball was going well wide until it hit the head of Jay Davies and looped over Shane Gore into the roof of the net.  St Neots then stormed forward and equalised four minutes later when Matt Nolan pulled the ball back for Arthur Lee to convert at the far post.  In stoppage time Lewis Hilliard’s shot was pushed away by Shane Gore, then Chesham broke away with Josh Cooper setting up Ryan Blake but Abbey rushed out of his goal to block.

 Tommy Fletcher 2 Mason Spence 
 Jeanmal Prosper 3 Arthur Lee 
 Alex Brown 4 Matthew Spring 
 Darren Purse Ryan Frater 
 Stephan Hamilton 6 Gavin Hoyte 
 Dave Fotheringham 7  Jay Davies
 Ashley Smith 8  Ben Ford
 Ryan Blake 9  Matt Nolan
 Simon Thomas 10  Lewis Hilliard
 Mark Bell 11  Martel Powell
 Josh Cooper 12 Josh Bickerstaff 
 Ryan Towner 14  Nathan Frater
 Connor Wood 15  Lorenzo Ferrari
 Mark Nwokeji 16 Jordan Ivey-Ward 
 David Lynn 17  Jamie Greygoose
Used Substitutes
Towner for Bell 74    Frater for Powell 54 
 Nwokeji for Blake 80     
Cooper for Smith 88     
Blake 16, 25, 31 N Frater 56 
  Davies 78 
  Lee 82  
 Brown 61   None 
 Thomas 67    
Sent off
None    None