Evostik League South Logo

Hitchin Town (H) Tuesday 9th September 7.45pm

The Meadow, Chesham

Chesham United
Att 333
Hitchin Town
Man of the Match:
Shane Gore
 Shane Gore 1 Michael Johnson  There could hardly have been a bigger contrast between two performances than between this and Saturday’s. Although Hitchin played well and were good value for their win, they were helped by a Chesham team that never played with any fluency, and that was unable to cope with a number of absences through injury.

For the first time since joining the club Darren Purse missed a league game, having failed to recover from Saturday’s injury, so Tommy Fletcher returned in the centre of defence.  Having come into this game on the back of a heavy defeat Hitchin looked sharper from the start, Sam Barker having an early shot which flew over.  Ashley Smith’s back-pass then forced Shane Gore into a hurried clearance which hit Jonny McNamara and flew wide of the open goal.  Lewis Rolfe then set up Lench for a shot which Shane Gore tipped behind.

Shortly before the half-hour mark Chesham lost Ryan Blake to injury, but then had their only moment of danger in the half.  Mark Bell curled a shot just wide, then another Bell shot was blocked and Alasan Ann was forced into a hasty clearance away from Ryan Laville.  However Hitchin resumed control and in stoppage time Matt Lench’s shot beat Shane Gore but came back off the post.

The early stages of the second half were scrappy, Chesham producing a rare moment of danger when Mark Bell shot wide after Ryan Laville set him up.  However three minutes later Charlie Smith crossed from the visitors’ left to Brett Donnelly whose header produced a superb save from Shane Gore.  Shortly afterwards Sam Barker shot from distance but Gore again turned the ball away.

Midway through the half Ryan Laville limped off to become Chesham’s third injury victim of the night, which took the club’s total injury list up to eight players.  The last quarter saw Hitchin still in control of the game but without threatening to break through, although at the other end Ashley Smith crossed for Simon Thomas to head over.

However in the last minute of normal time Sam Barker played the ball back in after a free kick had been cleared, and a scramble ensued which eventually saw Dan Webb poke the ball over the line for Hitchin’s winner.  Chesham vainly pushed forward but still finished the game without creating a single chance.
 Ashley Smith 2 Lewis Rolfe 
 David Lynn 3 Ben Walster 
 Alex Brown 4 Alasan Ann 
 Tommy Fletcher Dan Webb 
Andy Ballard
6 Sam Barker 
 David Pearce 7 Jonny McNamara 
Richard Graham 8 Callum Donnelly 
 Ryan Blake 9 Brett Donnelly 
 Simon Thomas 10 Matt Lench 
 Mark Bell 11 Charlie Smith 
 Josh Cooper 12 Garry Jones 
Stephan Hamilton 14 David Corran 
 Daniel Brathwaite 15 Robbie Burns 
Ryan Laville 16 Simon Martin 
Ryan Towner 17 Tinashe Chabata 
    Webb 90 
Used Substitutes
Laville for Blake 27  Burns for C Donnelly 76 
Brathwaite for Lynn 55  Martin for B Donnelly 81 
Towner for Laville 67   
 Laville 42   B Donnelly 78 
 Ballard 89    
Sent off
 None   None