Evostik League South Logo

Cambridge City (A) Wednesday 20th August 7.45pm

Bridge Road, Impington, Cambridge

Cambridge City
Att 214
Chesham United
 Man of the Match:
Mark Bell
Zac Barrett  1 Shane Gore The scoreline may have been the same as on Saturday, but this was a vastly different Chesham performance.  Chesham dominated the game for long periods but could not put the ball in the net, and Cambridge won the game with a spectacular goal just after the half-hour mark.

With Ryan Blake kept out by an injury sustained on Saturday, Mark Nwokeji started in attack, while David Lynn and Josh Cooper came in for Jeanmal Prosper and Stephan Hamilton.  Eman Rowe was on the bench after Inih Effiong failed a late fitness test.  Chesham took control of the game from the start, but their early efforts were restricted to two long-range efforts from Dave Fotheringham and Josh Cooper.  After 20 minutes a long clearance from Shane Gore was flicked on by Simon Thomas to Mark Nwokeji whose shot from the edge of the area flew past the far post.  Cambridge came into the game for the first time with Callum Donnelly shooting high and wide, then Tom Pepper’s cross was headed back across goal by Donnelly but Tommy Fletcher blocked.

After 31 minutes Cambridge scored the game’s only goal when Danny Kelly controlled the ball with his back to goal, turned and hit a dipping shot into the roof of the net from 30 yards giving Shane Gore no chance.  However Chesham soon reassumed control of the game, and a David Lynn long throw caused a goalmouth scramble which ended with Josh Cooper lobbing just over the bar.  Towards half-time a neat Chesham move ended with Mark Nwokeji having a shot on the turn blocked, then after a short corner David Lynn crossed and Mark Nwokeji’s header produced a fine flying save from home keeper Zac Barrett. Early in the second half Mark Bell had a shot on the turn blocked, then Alex Brown hit the bar with a header from Mark Bell’s corner but was penalised for a foul.  In a rare Cambridge attack Charlie Day pulled the ball back for Danny Kelly to shoot across the Chesham goal.  Shortly afterwards Alex Brown was forced to leave the field after taking a blow to the face, Tommy Fletcher switching to central defence and Jeanmal Prosper coming on at right-back.

However Chesham continued to press, David Lynn curling a shot wide and Ashley Smith forcing a fine low save from Barrett with a shot from the edge of the area.  The resulting corner was cleared, and Mark Bell crossed the ball back in to Darren Purse who could only turn the ball wide of the near post.  Barrett again excelled in turning away a snap shot from Mark Bell, then a David Lynn long throw caused a scramble in the home area and Simon Thomas’ shot was deflected over the bar.  The game finished with Chesham still pushing forward, and in the last minute of normal time Jeanmal Prosper broke down the right and set up Eman Rowe but Barrett again beat away the resulting shot.
Tom Pepper  2 Tommy Fletcher
Charlie Day  3 David Lynn
Will Lawton  4 Alex Brown
Lee Chaffey  Darren Purse
Josh Beech  6 Josh Cooper
Callum Donnelly  7 Dave Fotheringham
Adam Martin  8 Ashley Smith
Danny Kelly  9 Mark Nwokeji
Andrew Phillips  10 Simon Thomas
Josh Dawkin  11 Mark Bell
Jake Woolley  12 Eman Rowe
Ieuan Lewis  14 Ryan Towner 
Neil Midgley  15 Connor Wood
  16  Stephan Hamilton
  17  Jeanmal Prosper
Kelly 31     
Used Substitutes
Lewis for Donnelly 80  Prosper for Brown 54
Woolley for Phillips 90+1  Rowe for Nwokeji 76 
  Towner for Cooper 82 
Donnelly 71    Smith 86 
Sent off
 None   None