Evostik League South Logo

Bideford (H) Saturday 6th September 3.00pm

The Meadow, Chesham

Chesham United
Att 303
Man of the Match:
Ryan Blake
 Shane Gore 1 Lloyd Irish Chesham secured their first home win of the season in a thrilling encounter. Chesham looked comfortable at 3-0 early in the second half, but memories of the St Neots game returned when Bideford scored twice in two minutes to put the game back in the balance. However, Chesham regrouped and clinched the win with a fourth goal late on.

Richard Graham, Ryan Blake and Mark Bell all returned after injury, replacing Tommy Fletcher, Ryan Towner and Ryan Laville who was away. Chesham made a great start with a goal after 27 seconds, Mark Bell sending Ryan Blake clear down the left to clip the ball across keeper Lloyd Irish into the far corner of the net. Four minutes later Bideford threatened for the first time when Sean Downing cut in from the right and his shot was deflected wide. Chances continued to be created at both ends, firstly Mark Bell shot just wide after the ball had been cleared to the edge of the area, then Sean Downing’s cross found the head of Matt Wright who seemed sure to score but Shane Gore produced a brilliant save to tip the ball onto a post, Wright clipping the loose ball just over. Three minutes later Ryan Blake ran clear and rounded Irish only for Matt Villis to clear, and Blake collected the loose ball and crossed to Simon Thomas who headed over. Blake then set up David Pearce who broke into the area but Irish came out smartly to save.

The game then went into a quiet spell until the 37th minute, when Andy Ballard cut into the area and chipped the ball over Irish but onto the bar. Bideford’s Richard Groves and Sean Downing both had shots that were just off target, but it was Chesham who were to score next when Ryan Blake pulled the ball back from the by-line for Mark Bell to control and fire home. In the next minute Ryan Blake cut in from the left and curled a shot just over the bar. In the second minute after the restart Ashley Smith crossed low from the right, Matt Villis miskicked and Simon Thomas was left with a tap-in at the far post to make it 3-0. However Chesham then endured a rocky patch as Bideford fought back. On 52 minutes Downing crossed from the left, the ball ran loose and Matt Wright scored from close range. Chesham were rocking and Shane Gore produced another fine save, diving to his left to keep out Matt Wright’s shot, but in the next minute Downing burst through the middle and scored with a low shot into the bottom corner of the net. Craig Veal then broke through and shot past Gore but the ball came back off the post, then Ben Wood broke down the left and beat Gore but Darren Purse cleared off the line.

However Chesham weathered the storm and Bideford never threatened again. On 72 minutes Chesham were denied a blatant penalty when Ryan Blake was brought down by Matt Villis, then a 35-yard free kick from David Pearce was just off target. On 84 minutes Ryan Blake’s through pass allowed David Pearce to break into the area and fire home Chesham’s fourth.

That killed any hope of a Bideford comeback, and in stoppage time Ryan Blake shot from wide on the left and Irish dived to turn the ball away.
 Ashley Smith 2  Ian Sampson
 David Lynn 3 Stephen Reed
 Alex Brown 4 Sean Downing
 Darren Purse Chris McGrath
 Andy Ballard 6 Matt Villis
 David Pearce 7 Danny Wring
Richard Graham 8 Richard Groves
 Ryan Blake 9 Matt Wright
 Simon Thomas 10 Craig Veal
 Mark Bell 11 Ben Wood
Josh Cooper 12 Kevin Squire
Stephan Hamilton 14 Danny Harrison
Daniel Brathwaite 15 Nick Milton
Tommy Fletcher 16 Nick Barker
Ryan Towner 17  
Blake 1   Wright 52
Bell 44   Downing 54
 Thomas 47    
Pearce 84     
Used Substitutes
Towner for Bell 69 Milton for Groves 49
Brathwaite for Lynn 78 Squire for Sampson 74 
Hamilton for Graham 85 Harrison for Wring 86 
Ballard 63    
Sent off
None    None