Evostik League South Logo

Canvey Island vs Chesham United, FA Trophy 3rd Round Qualifying

Prospect Stadium, Saturday 10th November 2012 3pm

Canvey Island
 Att: 275
Chesham United
Waitrose Man of the Match in Association with the Bucks Examiner:Scott Thomas
Ashlee Jones 1 Shane Gore - cap With both teams having the same playing record in their respective leagues, it was perhaps not surprising that this game should finish in a draw. Chesham were the more grateful to hear the final whistle as Canvey dominated the later stages, but the game was fairly even in terms of chances and Chesham had cause to feel aggrieved that some important decisions went against them.

Simon Thomas, who was rested for the midweek County Cup game, returned in place of Scott McGleish who is ineligible for the FA Trophy after playing for Whitehawk in an earlier round. Chris Watters also replaced Milton Elenge after being away for the last two games. For the second game running Chesham conceded an early goal, when Harrison Chatting played the ball down the home left, Louis Dennis slipped it past the advancing Shane Gore and the ball rolled slowly into the unguarded net. Chesham’s first moment of note came on 14 minutes, when home keeper Ashlee Jones flapped at a Chris Watters corner but managed to get enough on the ball to prevent James Potton heading in. There were few chances in the opening half, Bradley Woods-Garness shooting over the bar, then Harrison Chatting’s snap shot flew across the Chesham goal. Chesham equalised in the 31st minute, when good work by Simon Thomas on the left saw the ball laid into the path of Dave Fotheringham whose low drive from just inside the box beat Jones at his near post. Chesham then lost Toby Little to injury but had the best chance in the rest of the half, when a Bruce Wilson cross was missed by Ashley Dumas and Jones was forced to rush from his goal to deny Michael Chennells.

Early in the second-half Shane Gore turned away a shot from Woods-Garness although the effort was going wide, then at the other end James Potton’s pass sent Simon Thomas clear but Jones again came out to block. Just after the hour mark Kevin Dobinson powered in a free kick from 30 yards but Shane Gore dived to his left to turn the ball away. Some of the officiating left a lot to be desired – on one occasion Andrew Fagan put the ball out near the corner flag and the referee gave a corner although it was clearly a throw – and on 71 minutes Simon Thomas ran on to a Michael Chennells flick and would have been clear on goal, only to be denied by an offside flag that looked dubious to say the least. Six minutes later Mark Lambert launched a free kick into the home area and Andrew Fagan was unable to jump for it because Rickie Hayles had hold of his arm, but the referee gave nothing. Two minutes later a cross from the home right came to Harrison Chatting at the far post but Andrew Fagan got back to clear. Six minutes from time a neat move set up Michael Chennells for a cross from the right that James Potton volleyed just wide. However the best chance of the half came to Harrison Chatting in the last minute of normal time but he hooked over from the edge of the area with only Shane Gore to beat. In stoppage time Leon Gordon crossed from the right and Louis Dennis’ header flew off the head of Scott Thomas and over the bar.
Ashley Miller 2 Scott Thomas
Ashley Dumas 3 Toby Little
Kevin Dobinson 4 Mark Lambert
Rickie Hayles 5 Andrew Fagan
Richard Orlu 6 Bruce Wilson
Jay Curran 7 Dave Fotheringham
Rob King 8 James Potton
Bradley Woods-Garness 9 Michael Chennells
Louis Dennis 10 Simon Thomas
Harrison Chatting 11 Chris Watters
Robbie Blackwell 12 Martel Powell
Leon Gordon 14 Sam Barker
James Hawes 15 Tim Shaw
Mitchell Gilbey 16 Lewis Rolfe
Andre Foster 17 Milton Elenge
Goal scorers
Dennis 6   Fotheringham 31
Used substitutes
Gordon for Curran 78   Rolfe for Little 35
    Powell for Watters 70
    Elenge for Potton 85
    Scott Thomas 62
    Fotheringham 75
Sent off